City of La Quinta Municipal Code
9.100.210 Noise control.
A. Purpose. The noise control standards for nonresidential land use districts set forth in this section are established to prevent excessive sound levels which are detrimental to the public health, welfare and safety or which are contrary to the public interest.
B. Noise Standards. Exterior noise standards are set forth below. Residential property, schools, hospitals, and churches are considered noise sensitive land uses, regardless of the land use district in which they are located. All other uses shall comply with the “other nonresidential” standard. All noise measurements shall be taken using standard noise measuring instruments. Measurements shall be taken within the receiving property at locations determined by director to be most appropriate to the individual situation.
7:00 a.m.—10:00 p.m. 60 dB(A)
10:00 p.m.—7:00 a.m. 50 dB(A)
7:00 a.m.—10:00 p.m. 75 dB(A)
10:00 p.m.—7:00 a.m. 65 dB(A)
If the noise consists entirely of impact noise, simple tone noise, speech or music, or any combination thereof, each of the noise levels specified in the table in this section shall be reduced by five dB(A).
C. Noise Limits. It is unlawful for any person at any location within the city to create any noise, or to allow the creation of any noise on property owned, leased, occupied or otherwise controlled by such person, when such noise causes the noise level, when measured on any adjacent property, to exceed:
1. The noise standard for a cumulative period of more than thirty minutes in any hour;
2. The noise standard plus five dB(A) for a cumulative period of more than fifteen minutes in any hour;
3. The noise standard plus ten dB(A) for a cumulative period of more than five minutes in any hour;
4. The noise standard plus fifteen dB(A) for a cumulative period of more than one minute in any hour; or
5. The noise standard plus twenty dB(A) for any period of time.
6. For purposes of this section, the term “cumulative period” means the number of minutes that a noise occurs within any hour, whether such minutes are consecutive or not.
D. Ambient Noise Level. If the ambient or background noise level exceeds any of the preceding noise categories, no increase above such ambient noise level shall be permitted.
E. Exemptions. The following are exempt from the noise restrictions of this section:
1. Emergency vehicles or other emergency operations.
2. City maintenance, construction or similar activities.
3. Construction activities regulated by Section 6.08.050 of the La Quinta Municipal Code.
F. Enforcement. The city building official shall have the responsibility and authority to enforce the provisions of this section. (Ord. 284 § 1 (Exh. A) (part), 1996)
Search ResultsSearch terms:
9.100.210 Noise control.